Alopecia areata is characterized by loss of body and scalp hair. It is a condition that is brought about by many causes. It can be caused by drugs that are used to treat other ailments, but has hair loss as a side effect. Do not worry because alopecia is curable. For example, it was a caused by a particular drug you are taking, the hair loss would stop too once the drugs or the medications are stopped, and your hair will begin growing back.
There are also cases of alopecia areata that are caused by a serious disease, diabetes for example. Due to its many complications in the body, the circulation of the blood is affected and slowed down. The slow circulation causes lesser hair to grow on your body and scalp.
The hair plays such an important role in the life of an individual. A lot of products and industries use our fascination for the hair to make a successful business. It is undeniable that we place a high regard for our hair and hair care. Hence, hair loss causes so much stress and worries on a person.
Shedding off a few strands everyday is quite normal. However, losing hair to the extent of getting abnormally thin hair and getting patches of bald areas in the head is something that should be given attention. To understand hair loss, let us take a look at some of the most common hair loss causes.
Most Common Causes of hair loss among men and women
1. Infection – Infections especially of the fungal origin can cause hair loss when it affects the scalp.
2. Autoimmune disorder – An autoimmune disorder is a disease wherein one’s own immune system attacks itself. This causes a variety of symptoms in the affected person. An autoimmune disorder called alopecia areata causes alopecia or hair loss.
3. Thyroid insufficiency – The thyroid gland plays a very important role in the body’s growth, metabolism and normal functions. The thyroid secretes important hormones that regulate body processes. When the thyroid gland secretion is insufficient, such as what happens in hypothyroidism, body mechanisms will also decrease in function. This results to certain body changes including hair loss.
4. Chemotherapy and other medications – Chemotherapy is the use of anti-cancer medications to fight cancer. These medications work by detecting the cancer cells in the body and killing them. To do this, the medications look for rapidly producing cells that is a characteristic of cancer cells. However, there are some cells in the body that normally multiply at such fast pace. This group of cells includes the hair follicles. Thus, the anti-cancer medications detect these normal hair cells and treat them as cancer cells. This is the reason why there is hair loss involved in cancer chemotherapy.
5. Poor diet – A deficient diet would correspond to a scarcity of essential vitamins, minerals and other nutrients in the body. Without these important nutrients, body metabolism even hair growth will also be affected.
Having knowledge on the things that cause hair loss will be truly useful in its prevention.
Leave A Comment